Documentation for importing ruminants into Western Australia

Page last updated: Monday, 27 November 2017 - 4:49pm

Please note: This content may be out of date and is currently under review.

All ruminants entering Western Australia must meet published import requirements and be accompanied by the relevant documentation.

A completed Health certificate for movement of stock into WA (form LB1) must accompany all stock. Additional documents may be used to certify the health status and/or origin of these animals and may give exemption from certain requirements.

Completed documents must be emailed, faxed or sent to the point of entry prior to movement. The original signed documents must travel with stock at all times.

Import requirements

For further information about import requirements for bringing ruminants into the state, see Importing ruminants into Western Australia.

Health certificate for movement of stock to Western Australia — form LB1

The Health certificate for movement of stock to Western Australia (form LB1) contains all entry requirements for livestock entering WA and is used to certify that livestock meet these requirements. It must accompany each consignment of livestock en route into WA.

The requirements for importing cattle, goats, camelids and deer in relation to bovine Johne's disease (BJD) changed on 1 July 2016 and have been updated again on 1 November 2016. The LB1 form lists the new requirements.  

Notification of the proposed import must be made by emailing, faxing or sending the completed LB1 document to the point of entry a minimum of three days prior to arrival for private transporters, or a minimum of 24 hours prior to arrival if by commercial carrier.

Bovine Johne’s disease, liver fluke and other import documents

  • For beef cattle from Queensland to the Kimberley region or pastoral area of WA, see form LB4.
  • For a declaration of re-entry of stock for ruminants departing WA and returning within 49 days of departure, see form LB7.
  • For beef cattle born and grazed solely in the bovine Johne's disease (BJD) protected zones of the Northern Territory and northern South Australia, they should be accompanied by a declaration, see form LB8.
  • For goats from a property in the BJD protected zone, or non-dairy goats from a property in the BJD beef protected area, see form LB9.
  • For equines, ruminants and camelids from the liver fluke test exempt areas of Australia, see form LB5.
  • For equines, ruminants and camelids returning to WA within 49 days of departure, see form LB6.
  • For equines, ruminants and camelids returning to WA within 10 days of departure, see form LB10.

Cattle tick import document

For a declaration of preliminary treatment of stock for cattle tick, see form LB16.

See Conditions of entry of stock in relation to tick in Western Australia for further information.

Importing livestock from overseas

Livestock imported from overseas must meet Western Australian requirements as well as those of the Federal Department of Agriculture and Water Resources.

Stock identification and intrastate movement requirements

Stock entering WA are required to meet identification requirements and may be required to meet other intrastate movement conditions.

Post-border requirements

After entry into WA, livestock may be required to meet post-border inspection, treatment and testing requirements.

Inspection charges

Service fees and charges exist for livestock inspections.

Quarantine WA

Quarantine WA is responsible for checking all stock imported into WA to ensure they meet the published import conditions.

Quarantine WA actively protects WA's agriculture, environment and lifestyle by conducting inspections for quarantine risk material at entry points for private travellers and commercial clients importing from interstate or overseas.

For information on specific import requirements for livestock see the import requirements manual or contact:

Phone +61 (0)8 9334 1800
Fax +61 (0)8 9334 1880

Exemptions to import requirements

If stock do not meet the published import conditions, entry into WA may be allowed with an import permit. Import permits must be applied for and issued prior to stock movement, they cannot be issued at the border.

See import permit for an application form.

Contacts for livestock imports

For queries regarding import of livestock into WA, see Contacts for livestock imports.

Contact information

Quarantine WA Livestock Imports