At DPIRD, we recognise our effectiveness is dependent on our people and in supporting each of our colleagues to give their best. We encourage innovation, creativity and excellence and we ensure these characteristics are recognised and rewarded.
We are committed to helping our people realise their full potential and support our staff with a wide range of initiatives surrounding personal and professional development and the achievement of work/life balance.
Our department provides great opportunities in the workplace through:
- a competitive salary and salary progression based on your contribution to our department
- a strong commitment to ongoing learning and development
- an innovative environment with valued and varied work
- an outcome-based management approach
- flexible career opportunities and career pathways
- world-class leadership and a commitment to the development of management and leadership skills
- an ability to make a difference to the agriculture and food sector in Western Australia.
Our department places a very high emphasis on continual skills and knowledge development, because of the need to continually adapt our skills profile to match the changing demands of the sector. This is achieved through a range of mechanisms, including supported higher education; overseas projects; national and international conference attendance; study tours; professional training; and development programs.
In addition to the specific work environment, our department is committed to supporting the quality of life of our employees through:
- flexible working arrangements that support work/life balance, including:
- home based work
- part-time work
- generous leave provisions, including:
- personal leave for family, sickness and personal reasons
- study leave (including access to study assistance)
- cultural leave
- sound occupational safety and health (OSH) policies and practices, including:
- first aid training
- driver training
- corporate and local induction and orientation programs
- family rooms
- salary packaging opportunities
- wealth creation seminars
- parking facilities
- an active social club (including gym facilities)
- regular health and fitness activities
- employee assistance programs
- reward and recognition programs
- housing in some country locations.
Most of our staff are employed under the provisions of the Public Sector Management Act 1994 and relevant agreements, awards and approved procedures. Information on these provisions is available at the Department of Commerce website.