Farm recovery after fire

Page last updated: Monday, 4 May 2020 - 2:27pm

The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) provides this information to support managers and others suffering from the effects of fire on the farm.

Latest fire information

For the latest information, please visit the Department of Fire and Emergency Services website or the Emergency WA website.

Support services

The WA rural health, financial and information services support directory provides information on most of the support services available in the regions.

Particularly useful services for recovery after fire include:

Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements

Visit the Disaster recovery funding arrangements Western Australia page for updated information.

Assistance is also available for individuals and families, small businesses and local governments. More information on these can be found on the Western Australian Department of the Premier and Cabinet website and on the Australian Government’s Disaster Assist website.

Recovery information

Safely entering your property after a bushfire

Your property is likely to be in a restricted access area – a designated area within an incident area – immediately after a fire.

Only an authorised person can enter a restricted access area for a period of time and for a specific purpose.

Residents, business owners, utility companies or other approved people can apply for a restricted access permit to:

  • activate their emergency plan
  • collect valuables and pets
  • transport various commodities, such as milk, water, stock feed and store supplies
  • tend to livestock
  • undertake other approved activities.

For more information about restricted access permits, visit the Department of Fire and Emergency Services website.

Hazards on your property after a bushfire

Houses, sheds and other buildings or structures that are burnt in a bushfire can leave potential health hazards, including asbestos, in the remaining rubble and ash.

The Department of Health supplies these guides:

Managing animals


When moving sheep, cattle and goats out of the fire zone, owners should contact DPIRD's National Livestock Identification System (NLIS) helpdesks where staff will maintain the NLIS database to avoid a biosecurity emergency down the track. The helpdesks are there to assist you free-of-charge. Please contact them as soon as you can to provide the property addresses and stock numbers.

Livestock and feed

More information is available on our website:

Disposing of milk that cannot be delivered

Farm biosecurity

Fire creates a feed shortage for affected livestock. To resolve this, you may buy in or accept donated feed, or you may agist your animals on another property. Both of these actions pose a biosecurity risk of introducing pests, diseases and weeds to your animals and your property.

For more information, see the webpages:

Managing grapes and wine

Water supply and quality

Protecting your water supply from contamination after a fire is a high priority. Ash and soil from burnt paddocks and bushland can be blown or washed into rain tanks and farm dams, causing pollution and adding nutrients for bacteria and algae. 


Soils and pastures management

Recovery resources