Western Australia’s rural support services

Page last updated: Tuesday, 15 February 2022 - 12:20pm

Please note: This content may be out of date and is currently under review.

The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) provides this information to help people in the rural areas of Western Australia find the support and assistance they need to deal with stressful situations.

Download a copy of the support directory from the 'documents' section.


Recovery after fire on rural properties

We recognise that talking with family, friends and your local community are very important after experiencing fire. After any major fire, there will also be local support and services developed, and we recommend using that support as early as possible.

Particularly useful services for recovery after fire include:

24 hour crisis counselling support

Crisis support services Phone

Crisis Care

Crisis Care is a telephone information and counselling service for people in crisis needing urgent help.

free call 1800 199 008

Men's Domestic Violence Helpline

Counselling for men who are concerned about their violent and abusive behaviours

(08) 9223 1199

Free call 1800 000 599  

Women's Domestic Violence Helpline

Support and counselling for women experiencing domestic violence

(08) 9223 1188

Free call 1800 007 339


Provides access to crisis support, suicide prevention & mental health support services. 24/7 support.

131 114

Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue provides information and support to help everyone in Australia achieve their best possible mental health, whatever their age and wherever they live. 24/7 support.

1300 224 636

MensLine Australia

MensLine Australia is a telephone and online counselling service for men with emotional health and relationship concerns.

1300 789 978

Kids Helpline (ages 5 - 25)

Kids Helpline is Australia’s only free, private and confidential 24/7 phone and online counselling service for young people aged 5 to 25.

free call 1800 551  800

Samaritans Crisis 

24/7 anonymous crisis support by phone.

135 247

National Sexual Assault, Family & Domestic Violence

Confidential information, counselling and support service. Open 24 hours to support people impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence and abuse

Free call 1800 737  732

Suicide Callback Service

Suicide Call Back Service is a nationwide service that provides professional 24/7 telephone and online counselling to people who are affected by suicide.

1300 659 467

Mental Health Emergency Response Line

For anyone involved in a mental health emergency in the community – including individuals, families/carers, member of the general public or health professionals. Covers the Perth metropolitan and Peel areas.

Metro Perth 1300 555 788

Alcohol & Drug Support Line

The Alcohol and Drug Support Line is a confidential, non-judgemental telephone counselling, information and referral service for anyone seeking help for their own or another person’s alcohol or drug use.

Perth Metro calls 9442 5000

Country calls 1800 198 024

Parent & Family Drug Support Line

The Parent and Family Drug Support Line is a confidential, non-judgemental telephone counselling, information and referral service for anyone concerned about a loved one’s alcohol or drug use.

Perth Metro calls 9442 5050

Country calls 1800 653 203

Note: Some numbers will have options to select from when first dialed. Delays may be experienced at times, when waiting for your call to be answered. There may be times where you’re redirected to message bank if the line is in use, the operator will return your call as soon as possible. Remember to leave your name and contact number.

Back to top

Family counselling support

Family counsellors

Contact numbers

Central Agcare – Corrigin WA 6375

Corrigin, Wickepin, Pingelly, Kulin, Brookton, Quairading, Narembeen, Kondinin, Bruce Rock, Hyden


9063 2037


Southern Agcare – Gnowangerup WA 6335

9827 1552

Noongar counselling: Darkan, Arthur River, Wagin, Dumbleyung, Lake Grace, Nyabing, Pingrup

0427 192 155

Noongar counselling: Broomehill, Woodanilling, Gnowangerup, Ongerup, Jerramungup

0427 241 381

Katanning, Kojonup, Wagin, Tambellup

0427 441 459

Wheatbelt Agcare – Nungarin WA 6490
Nungarin & Districts
Dowein and Wyalkatchem       

9046 5091
0488 465 081
0488 964 255

Family Relationship Advice Line

Free call 1800 050 321


9325 6644

Ngala Parenting Line

Free call 1800 111 546

Northern Districts Support Counselling – Morawa

9971 1030

Relationships Australia (WA)

1300 364 277

Women's Health & Family Services – Northbridge and Joondalup
Free support and counselling

Free call 1800 998 399

Carers WA – Perth 1300 227 377

Amity Health – Albany
Mental health counselling for Wheatbelt and Great Southern. Referral from GP or allied health required.

9842 2797

Back to top

Ancillary services


Ancillary services

Contact numbers

Avon Youth, Community and Family Services 
Areas from Northam, Merredin, Moora to Narrogin

9622 2612

Great Southern Community Alcohol and Drug Services
Based in Albany, with offices in Denmark, Mt Barker and Katanning, and provides outreach services as far west as Walpole, north to Katanning and east to Lake Grace.

Albany 9892 2100

Katanning 9821 8306

Denmark 9892 2100

MidWest/Murchison Community Alcohol and Drug Services
Based in Geraldton, provides a fortnightly outreach service to Kalbarri, Dongara, Northampton, Mullewa, Morawa, Three Springs and Eneabba, and once a month to Yalgoo, Cue, Mt Magnet, Meekatharra and Wiluna.

Geraldton 9956 2424

Pilbara Alcohol and Drug Services
Operated by Mission Australia, services also located in Karratha, Newman, Roebourne and Tom Price, with regular outreach to surrounding communities.

South Headland Free 1800 005 579

Wheatbelt Community Alcohol and Drug Services
Based in Northam and Narrogin, and provides outreach services to Merredin, Wyalkatchem, Gin Gin, Goomalling and all points west to Beverley

Northam 9621 1055

Narrogin 9881 1999

South West Community Alcohol and Drug Services
Based in Bunbury, the South West Community Alcohol and Drug Services also provides outreach services to Manjimup and Bridgetown (Monday); Collie (Tuesday); Busselton (Tuesday - Thursday); Margaret River (Thursday)

Bunbury 9721 9256

Goldfields Community Alcohol and Drug Services
Based in Kalgoorlie and Esperance, provides outreach services to communities around the Goldfields and Esperance region.

Kalgoorlie 9021 3069

Esperance 9071 5169

Great Southern Community Mental Health Service – Albany
Coverage Area: Albany, Denmark, Bremer Bay, Mount Barker, Cranbrook, Jerramungup and Ravensthorpe

Albany 9892 2440

Goldfields–Esperance Community Mental Health Services
Coverage Area: Kalgoorlie, Boulder, Coolgardie, Menzies, Leinster, Leonora, Laverton and Kambalda.

Esperance 9071 0444

Kalgoorlie–Boulder Mental Health Service

Kalgoorlie 9088 6200

Central West Mental Health Service - Geraldton
Coverage Area: spans the coastal area from Onslow in the north to Leeman/Green Head in the south,  the regional city of Geraldton, inland to Wiluna, incorporating eighteen Shires. Includes the towns of Carnamah, Carnarvon, Cue, Dongara, Eneabba, Exmouth, Meekatharra, Mingenew, Morawa, Mount Magnet, Mullewa, Northampton, Onslow, Perenjori, Sandstone, Three Springs and Yalgoo.

Geraldton 9956 2424

Great Southern Community Mental Health Service - Narrogin
Coverage Area: Boddington, Brookton, Cuballing, Dumbleyung, Kondinin, Kulin, Lake Grace, Narrogin, Pingelly, Wagin, Wandering, West Arthur, Wickepin, Williams.

Narrogin 9881 0700

Mental Health Services - Wheatbelt

9621 0999

Rural Link

free call 1800 552 002

Share & Care Community Services Northam
Emergency relief, family assistance, financial counselling, home support service, women’s refuge. Available to people of the Coastal, Wheatbelt and Upper Great Southern regions.

9622 2828

Back to top

Financial support services

Financial support service

Contact number

Department of Human Services - Centrelink

132 468

Farmer Assistance Hotline 
A phone service for farmers and their partners to talk to us about Farm Household Allowance.

132 316

ATO Debt Information Line

131 142

Rural West – Small Rural Business Financial Counselling, Rural Financial Counselling Services of WA, Drought Communities Small Business Support.
Rural West provide a free, confidential, mobile, independent financial counselling service to regional small businesses and all primary production enterprises in WA, who are navigating their way through difficult and turbulent times.

Free call 1800 612 004

National Debt Helpline
Free service for individuals dealing with a whole range of financial concerns

Free call 1800 007 007

Community Grants Hub

The Community Grants Hub, in the Department of Social Services, provides a shared-services arrangement to deliver grant administration services on behalf of Australian Government client agencies

1800 020 283


Farm Hub

A website that harnesses information about Commonwealth and State/Territory assistance (includes Drought Loans, Farm Investment Loans, Farm Household Allowance).


Farm Household Allowance

Assists farming families experiencing financial hardship with income to maintain their household.

13 23 16 or 1800 612 004

Regional Investment Corporation

Low interest loans for businesses to improve the strength, resilience and profitability of their businesses (provided by the Regional Investment Corporation).

Drought loan; AgriStarter loan; Farm Investment loan; AgBiz drought loan.

1800 875 675


Rural West

Rural West provide a free, confidential, mobile, independent financial counselling service to regional small businesses and all primary production enterprises in WA, who are navigating their way through difficult and turbulent times.

Free call 1800 612 004


Farm Debt Mediation Scheme

The Farm Debt Mediation Scheme in Western Australia is available to assist farm and pastoral businesses and financial institutions resolve disputes about business financial arrangements, through a low cost and non-legal form of mediation, and encourage a mutually acceptable agreement between the parties.

1800 198 231 


Farmer Assistance Hotline

A phone service for farmers and their partners to talk to us about Farm Household Allowance.

13 23 16

Back to top

General health

General health contact Contact number

Health Direct

24 hour health advice. Free health advice you can count on, talk to a registered nurse

Free call 1800 022 222

WA Elder Abuse Helpline

1300 724 679

Cancer Council of WA
Information and support line on all cancers.

13 11 20

Women’s Information Service
The service provides information and referrals about issues such as health, finances, legal matters, counselling and domestic violence

free call 1800 199 174

Regional Men’s Health Initiative
Raising awareness of men's wellbeing and health in regional, rural and remote Western Australia

9690 2277

Information services

Information service

Contact number

Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) – South Perth

1300 374 731

DPIRD – Rural Business Development Corporation

The RBDC has support schemes including farm debt mediation and business management training

Free call 1800 198 231

Department of Agriculture, Water and Environment – Drought and rural assistance

This site has links for Immediate action for those in drought; support for the wider communities affected by drought; links for long-term resilience and preparedness.

Free call 1800 900 090

Regional Investment Corporation
Loans for farm investment, preparation for drought or affected by drought and water infrastructure

Free call 1800 875 675

Australian Taxation Office Emergency Support Infoline 
Farm household allowance, concessional loan schemes, farm management deposits, taxation measures, managing farm risk program.

Free call 1800 806 218

Wheatbelt Commonwealth Carer Respite Service
Support for caring relationships, information, respite care and support for carers and the people they care for.

Free call 1800 052 222

Department for Communities
Provides a range of child safety and family support services to Western Australian individuals, children and their families.

free call 1800 176 888


Small Business Development Commission

133 140
National Drought Map




Back to top

Water support services

Information service Contact

National On-farm Emergency Water Infrastructure Rebate Scheme (WA)

Rebates of 25% up to a maximum of $25 000 for the purchase and installation of new water infrastructure and equipment to eligible commercial livestock farmers and pastoralists

1800 780 300


Community Water Supply Program

Grants of up to $100 000 available for community water supply development and improvements in dryland agricultural areas receiving <600mm average annual rainfall

1800 780 300


Management of Strategic Community Water Supplies

Network of strategic community water supplies in WA dryland agricultural areas to provide emergency stock water

1800 780 300


Water Deficiency Declarations

Emergency water for livestock provided by the State government carted to a central point, coordinated via local shires

1800 780 300


Farm Water Supply Planning Scheme

Rebates of up to $1000 for commercial broadacre farmers experiencing water shortages to fund an audit of farm water supply and potential improvements

1800 780 300


Emergency contacts

Emergency services

Contact number

Police, Fire, Ambulance



Police assistance  

131 444

State Emergency Service

132 500

Poisons Information Centre

13 11 26

For more information

Contact emergencymanagement@dpird.wa.gov.au for additional information or any changes.