Preparing the Western Australian Soil Health Strategy
The Western Australian Government recognises that our farmers, pastoralists, and land managers are striving for profitable and sustainable agricultural systems, and that our agricultural, horticultural, and pastoral sectors share responsibility for addressing threats to their productive agricultural soils.
The Minister gave the Soil and Land Conservation Council (SLCC) the responsibility for overseeing the preparation and implementation of a Soil Health Strategy for Western Australia.
In May 2020 the SLCC released the Western Australian Soil Health Strategy Discussion Paper, with the purpose of engaging stakeholders to determine goals and principles and priorities for key actions. The feedback received is summarised in the Stakeholder Engagement Report. In December 2020 a second stage of consultation was undertaken on a draft strategy. It included a webinar on Wednesday 27 January 2021. A transcript of the webinar and panel question and answer session is also available to download. SLCC thanks all who provided their time, experience, and expertise to prepare the strategy
The Western Australian Soil Health Strategy was launched to coincide with World Soil Day on 1 December 2021. It will be overseen by the SLCC and delivered through the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development in association with key government, industry and community partners.
- Western Australian Soil Health Strategy home page
- Soil and Land Conservation Council, WA ,2020, State Soil Health Strategy – Draft 2020 for Public Comment, Western Australia. Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development, Perth.
- Stakeholder Engagement Report (Andrew Huffer and Associates, Pty Ltd, 2020).
- Western Australian Soil Health Strategy Discussion Paper (PDF 1.2MB)
- Soil Health Strategy Overview Flier (PDF)
- Soil Health Strategy Themes Flier (PDF)
Mail: Soil and Land Conservation Council, Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development, Locked Bag 4 Bentley Delivery Centre WA 6983