Licensing industrial hemp activities in Western Australia

Page last updated: Tuesday, 18 April 2023 - 12:19pm

Please note: This content may be out of date and is currently under review.

The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development acts as the Registrar for the Industrial Hemp Act 2004 in Western Australia. This legislation enables licensees to cultivate, harvest and/or process industrial hemp for food and fibre on a commercial scale.

Industrial hemp (Cannabis sativa) is a potentially important crop for Western Australia. Fibre can be extracted from the stem and seeds can be processed into a food source. Items manufactured from hemp include textiles, paper, rope, fuel, animal bedding, building materials, seed oil and food from hulled hemp seed.

The industry in Western Australia is regulated under the Industrial Hemp Act 2004 (the Act).

The Act states that 'industrial hemp' means cannabis, the leaves and flowering heads of which do not contain more than 1.0% of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

Industrial hemp licence

The Act allows for suitable companies or individuals to apply for a licence to cultivate, harvest and/or process industrial hemp. Applications can be made by filling out Form 603, which can be downloaded from the document section on this page. Supporting information to assist applications can be found in the 'Notes to assist in applying for an industrial hemp licence' document.

Generally licenses will not be granted for cultivation of hemp in urban areas.

Depending on the completeness of the application, supporting documents and the suitability of activities, allow up to 8 weeks for licence asssessment. Submit completed and signed applications to the Registrar at Hard copies can be mailed to:

The Industrial Hemp Registrar

Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development

Locked Bag 4 Bentley Delivery Centre, WA 6983

Medicinal, therapeutic use and extraction of cannabinoids from industrial hemp

The Act does not regulate the use of industrial hemp for medicinal or therapeutic purposes (i.e. medicinal cannabis or cannabinoid extracts from the leaves and flowers of the hemp plant).

Enquiries regarding the use of industrial hemp for medicinal or therapeutic purposes should be addressed to the Office of Drug Control.

Suitable seed sources

Licensees may plant crops of industrial hemp for fibre or seed production using approved seed or planting sources. The Act defines industrial hemp seed as seed that is certified in an approved manner as (a) having been produced from industrial hemp; or (b) producing, when cultivated, industrial hemp.

When sourcing appropriate seed, always ask for a copy of the ‘crop analysis certificate’ from the crop that produced the seed. This analysis certificate plays an important role in reducing the risk of your crop returning a high THC result and assists the Registrar in approving seed for sowing.

Sowing seed in WA must be sourced from a crop tested as 0.5% or less THC.

The viability of industrial hemp seed can drop quickly over a year or two depending on storage conditions and other factors. It is highly recommended that you seek a recent (recommend within six months) ‘germination test’ on prospective seed to determine its viability. Visit DDLS Seed Testing and Certification services for information on seed testing.

For more information relating to suitable seed sources and importation of industrial hemp seed,  see the 'Guidelines to assist the importation of industrial hemp seed into Western Australia'  available under the documents section on this page.

Planting industrial hemp crops

Planting can only occur on properties that have been approved by the Registrar and appear on a valid industrial hemp licence. Licensees can apply to the Registrar to add a premises to their license using Form 605.

Once any hemp has been planted under licence, the licensee must notify the Registrar within one week. The completed Form 601 must be accompanied by an accurate map showing details of the planting and evidence of the approved seed or planting sources.

Crop inspection and testing

Licensees are responsible for ensuring that all crops of industrial hemp planted in Western Australia are inspected and sampled at the appropriate time by a department officer. Samples are sent to the Chemistry Centre of Western Australia to analyse the THC content for compliance with the threshold stated in the Act.

Fees apply for crop inspection, sampling and testing. See document 'Notes to assist in applying for an industrial hemp licence' for indicative fees.

Seed cleaning and labelling

DDLS Seed Testing and Certification offers a voluntary traceable seed system that enables commercial scale sowing seed to be cleaned at a registered seed cleaner, sampled officially and tested for germination, purity and weed seed content, and be labelled with uniquely coded official bag labels. This system facilitates the trade of seed and licensees purchasing bags with these labels get assurance that seed has meet minimum requirements for THC.

Hemp as a food source

In November 2017 it became possible to process industrial hemp (hulled hemp seed only) into food products. For general information relating to food production in Western Australia see our Food Safety page. For specfic information relating to hemp in food, contact Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ).

Hemp industry development, agronomic and economic studies

For information relating to prefeasibility of production and processing hemp in Western Australia, including international market trends, agronomic and economic considerations, and a Western Australia Hemp Industry Directory, please visit the Industrial hemp portal.

More information

Visit the Biosecurity fees and charges page for current licence application and renewal fees.

For more information, contact DDLS Seed Testing and Certification.

Contact information

DDLS Seed Testing and Certification
+61 (0)8 9368 3721