This informative publication is issued three times a year and focuses on local beekeeping advice and topics of interest. Registered beekeepers receive this free. For further information, contact the Secretary of the APC Beekeepers Producers’ Committee on 0432 324 708 or email direct to firstname.lastname@example.org
Amateur Beekeeper Association
The Western Australian Apiarist Society (WAAS) meets at the South Perth Community Hall (cnr of South Terrace and Sandgate Street, South Perth) on the first Thursday of each month at 7.30pm.
WA bee industry/organisation contacts
BICWA was established in December 2015 by existing WA bee organisations to represent the bee and honey industry in Western Australia for all commercial, semi-commercial and hobbyist beekeepers.
The four member organisations that make up BICWA are:
- Agricultural Produce Commission (Beekeepers) - The APC Beekeepers committee was established in August 2003 with the agreed objective to provide leadership to beekeepers, ensure governance accountability and identify and implement initiatives for the industry on behalf of all Western Australia beekeepers.
- Western Australian Farmer’s Federation (WAFF) Beekeepers section - WAFF Beekeepers Section represents the commercial beekeepers in the state.
- Western Australian Apiarist Society (WAAS) - Formed in 1953 the Society is made up mainly of hobbyists who wish to meet, learn, share and promote the craft of beekeeping.
- Western Australian Beekeeper Association (WABA) - The Western Australian Beekeepers Association (WABA) was formed about 15 years ago to represent the interests of all beekeepers in Western Australia, from the professional level down to amateur and hobbyists.
Useful research publications
Search on honey or bees at:
- Plant Health Australia – Honey bees
- Bee Aware – Biosecurity
- Australian Honey Bee Industry Council (AHBIC)
- Agrifutures (formerly Rural Industries and Research Development Corporation)
Apiary and Biosecurity Officers are contactable at: PBHoney@dpird.wa.gov.au
- Andrea Johnston, Apiary Officer
- Simon Eyres, Biosecurity Officer
- James Sheehan, Bee Biosecurity Officer