Trade missions and trade exhibitions
DPIRD supports WA exporters by:
- providing a linking service between prospective exporters and distributors, retailers and other interested parties in the market that the exporter is targeting, working with the WA Government Trade and Investment Offices, and in markets including Singapore, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Indonesia and the Middle East
- developing visit programs for in-coming and out-going buyer delegations
- coordinating WA participation at selected international trade exhibitions in priority markets such as Gulfood (Middle East), HOFEX (Hong Kong), Food and Hotel Asia (Singapore), Food and Hotel China, FOODEX (Japan) independently or in conjunction with FIAL.
Advisory service – market insight
The department provides specific advice for the Western Australian (WA) agrifood sector on export market development opportunities, including:
- Identifying and developing international export market opportunities, working together with Austrade, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation WA, and the overseas WA Government offices.
- Providing market insights, including industry specific market reports, created by DPIRD or commissioned or outsourced by DPIRD from a third party. DPIRD has produced a range of market intelligence and insight reports identifying opportunities from premium markets for WA agrifoods:
- For example, the Asian Market Success (AMS) project has developed detailed reports on potential demand-driven target markets for 20 commodities grown in WA where some competitive advantage exists against peer exporting nations. Further analysis has been developed detailing potential-in market partners, the key WA companies per commodity and strategic market snapshots. Visit the AMS project webpage for more information and to download reports.
- Demand for sustainably produced food and beverage products is growing, in both domestic and international markets. The Sustainably Produced Food - Oportunities for Western Australia report findings are based on interviews with producers, retailers and global supply chain customers, providing a strategic understanding of the value of sustainably produced food for Western Australia.
Publications and resources
The Western Australian Agrifood Export eNews is a weekly e-newsletter from the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development which provides up-to-date news related to agrifood and fisheries exports to anyone involved, or interested, in WA’s agribusiness, commercial fishing and aquaculture industries.
- Western Australian Agrifood Export eNews - 26 June 2020
- Western Australian Agrifood Export eNews - 19 June 2020
- Western Australian Agrifood Export eNews - 12 June 2020
- Western Australian Agrifood Export eNews - 5 June 2020
- Western Australian Agrifood Export eNews - 29 May 2020
- Western Australian Agrifood Export eNews - 22 May 2020
- Western Australian Agrifood Export eNews - 15 May 2020
- Western Australian Agrifood Export eNews - 8 May 2020
- Western Australian Agrifood Export eNews - 1 May 2020
- Western Australian Agrifood Export eNews - 23 April 2020
- Western Australian Agrifood Export eNews - 16 April 2020
Workshops/seminars - export capability building
- In conjunction with Commonwealth departments and National Industry Organisations, DPIRD coordinates, hosts and promotes Western Australian seminars and workshops tailored for the agribusiness export industries.
- The AMS project provides seminars focusing on specific steps to export, including market intelligence and branding sessions for companies for specific high-value markets. General seminars related to export success stories are also provided.
DPIRD works closely with federal counterparts particularly the Department of Agriculture and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade to support maintained, improved and new market access. DPIRD works with industry to:
- identify technical market access constraints, communicate WA agrifood market access priorities at the national level, and participate in collaborative projects that seek to improve market access
- provide submissions outlining the WA agrifood sector’s interests and priorities for proposed Free Trade Agreements, and promoting the benefits for WA agrifood exporters under concluded Free Trade Agreements.
If you require further information, please email email@example.com and your query will be directed to the relevant person.