Chemical control of declared plants

Page last updated: Wednesday, 29 October 2014 - 2:19pm

Please note: This content may be out of date and is currently under review.

Herbicides are extensively used to control declared plants. Herbicide labels contain the names of declared plants that can be treated. When a declared plant is not on a herbicide label its treatment may be covered by a minor use permit from the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA).

Herbicide control

Herbicides give operators a degree of flexibility in control of weeds that is not available using other methods. Operators can vary the timing and size of the operation and in most cases, the cost is reasonably low.

When using a herbicide always read the label to ensure the herbicide is registered for the weed and situation you intend to use it for.

In many cases control of a weed is affected by a combination of strategies which together have a maximum impact on an infestation.

Herbicides for declared pest plants

In some instances a declared plant is not included on a herbicide label. However, the use of that herbicide on that plant may be covered by an APVMA minor use permit.

From research in Western Australia on particular declared pest plants, applications are made to the APVMA to allow certain herbicides to be used in this state. The APVMA usually grants a permit which may cover a specific emergency weed eradication incident or may be for general application on non agriculture, pastoral or agriculture lands. These permits usually are valid for about five to ten years.

The minor use permits for herbicides used for declared plant control can be found in the link(s) to the APVMA web site on this page.

Further Information

Further information on controlling declared plants can be found through the Declared plant control handbook link.

Other topics that may interest you include:

Contact information

Pest and Disease Information Service (PaDIS)
+61 (0)8 9368 3080