My role in the department
Dr Davies has expertise in managing soil constraints in cropping systems with a focus on developing practical tools and options for grain growers. He leads two DPIRD and GRDC funded co-investment projects. Outcomes from these projects include: 1) Optimising management of multiple interacting constraints across variable soils and test the value of re-engineering soil profiles to 80cm+. 2) Optimise amelioration timing, seedbed preparation, herbicide use and crop rotations to maximise the size and longevity of amelioration benefits.
Dr Davies has more than 24 years experience undertaking research in agricultural plant physiology and soils at the University of Western Australia (PhD studies), CSIRO Plant Industry in Canberra and DPIRD, based in Geraldton.
- DAW00244 Delivering enhanced agronomic strategies for improved crop performance on water repellent soils in WA, 2014-2019
- DAW1902-003RTX Re-engineering soils to improve soil water and nutrient use efficiency, 2019-2024
- DAW1901-006RTX Increasing farming system profitability and longevity of benefits following soil amelioration, 2019-2024
- Member: Australian Society of Soil Science Inc.
- PhD Plant Science, University of Western Australia
- BSc in Agriculture with Honours, University of Adelaide