If you grow a crop that is a host for TPP, look for insect life stages on the underside of leaves and signs of leaf damage. Signs and symptoms of TPP include:
- Adult psyllids jumping from foliage when disturbed
- Stunting and yellowing of growth tips
- Yellowing or purpling of leaf margins
- Severe wilting of plants caused by high numbers of psyllids feeding.
- ‘Psyllid sugars’ – white sugar-like granules excreted by adults and nymphs, which coats leaves and stems, and leads to growth of sooty mould.
- Stem death symptoms are similar to other potato and tomato disorders.