The Skeleton weed Operational “season” for 2018/19 runs from 1 October 2018 to 30 September 2019 and Operational Activities in the Annual Report are written to coincide with this timeframe.
The Grains, Seeds and Hay Industry Management Committee (GSHIMC) believes the current program is delivering the best value for the funding provided and is achieving the Project Outcomes of eradication (where possible), management (on infested sites), and limiting the spread of Skeleton weed across the cereal growing districts.
Although there was a significant increase in the infested area of Skeleton weed in 2018/19, most of this increase was again in the eastern zone where conditions favoured Skeleton weed in late 2018.
As well the program increased its support to landholders through the search assistance program.
|All program milestones have been met and the program has been delivered under budget|
- Winter treatment of Skeleton weed infestations, including supply and application of herbicide
- Review and provide Skeleton weed information packages (Management Guide)
- Pre-search planning and notification to affected landholders
- Surveillance for Skeleton weed on high risk non-infested properties
- Undertake monitoring on paddocks released from infested list in C2 areas
- Conduct audits of infested properties and follow up compliance
- Update records for annual summer search in project database
- Annual Skeleton Weed Program debrief
- Operational plans and budgets completed and approved by GSH IMC
- Funding for Local Action Groups – applications assessed and funding facilitated
- Skeleton Weed Program “Report to grain growers”