My role in DAFWA
My current role involves developing mobile applications to support the collection of surveillance data to provide evidence of pest absence. This evidence is used to develop and maintain access to our overseas trading markets. To do this I collaborate across local grower communities, with citizens interested in sharing their reported pest observations, other researchers in entomology, plant pathology and virology as well as stakeholders interested in developing this area further.
I have 15 years research experience in integrated pest/weed/disease management of horticultural and broadacre systems. I have specialist skills in developing quarantine management plans for the LNG industry and on-farm biosecurity plans. My experience in New Zealand and Australia at UWA, CSIRO and Chevron includes ecological monitoring and evaluation of invasive species impacts on natural ecosystems. I am also interested in aspects of entomology which began when studying the diversity of arthropod species living in the canopy leaf litter of montane forests in Canada.
- Development Officer within ‘Biosecurity & Regulation’ Directorate
- Grains Industry representative for ‘Biosecurity Coordinating Group’
- Grains Industry representative for ‘Biosecurity Policy Working Group’
- Grains Industry representative for ‘Technical Working Group’
- MSc in Ecology & Forest Entomology with Honours, University of Victoria 1999
- BSc in Biology Work Study Programme with Honours, University of Victoria 1999
- Biology Studies in Africa Program, Simon Fraser University 1994