My role in the department
I am Project Manager for the Sheep Genetics sub-project within the Sheep Industry Business Innovation project (Royalties for Regions) and I manage the genetic resource flocks that we use for genetic studies at our Katanning and Mt Barker research stations. These resource flocks are strongly supported by our research and development partners Meat and Livestock Australia and Australian Wool Innovations Ltd, and are used to investigate the inheritance of production and disease traits that are expensive and difficult to measure. This information is critical to develop genomic breeding values in order to identify genetically superior breeding animals early in life. This information will assist the Western Australian sheep industry to breed robust animals with superior wool and meat products for export in an increasingly complex and fast-moving environment.
I have more than 40 years experience researching sheep breeding and genetics on meat, wool and disease traits and have carried out research on many different breeds. During the last 15 years I have worked extensively on improving wool quality traits and currently I also investigate opportunities to breed sheep that are resistant against internal parasites and breech strike. I also collaborate with local universities and provide guidance to post graduate students.
- Developing genetic methodologies to identify genetically superior animals for wool, meat and disease traits.
- Identifying new indicator traits to breed indirectly for breech strike resistance in wool sheep.
- Manages the Genetic resource flocks at Katanning and Mt Barker research stations that are involved in the developing of novel breeding methods using DNA technologies.
- B.Sc. Agric. University of the Orange Free State, South Africa
- B.Sc. Agric (Hon). University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
- M.Sc. Agric.University of Pretoria, South Africa
- Ph.D Animal Breeding, University of Pretoria, South Africa
- Diploma in Project Management – Central Institute of Technology, Perth, WA