A good action design includes:
- a clear SMARTT goal
- Critical success factors (CSFs) and key performance indicators (KPIs)
- the key actions needed to make sure the CSFs are in place and that you hit your KPIs and the goal
- the timing of the key actions
- clear roles.
Steps for developing an action design
- Develop a goal about what you want to achieve. Try to make it SMARTT, that is specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, targeted and timeframed.
- Think about what it is essential to have in place if you are to achieve the goal. These are the Critical success factors. They are not what you are going to do. You will think about that in a later step.
- For each of the critical success factors, think about how you will know if it is in place. These are the Key performance indicators.
- For each of the critical success factors work out the key actions that will have to be implemented for the critical success factor to be in place.
- Work out the timing for the key actions. When does each key action need to be done? This information can be brought together into a calendar.
- For each of the key actions decide who will be responsible for implementing it.
The table below shows part of an action design for a beef business with a goal of increasing growth rate by 15% within three years. It gives an example of a critical success factor, key performance indicators and key actions. The key actions include when the actions should be taken and the name of the person responsible in brackets.
|Critical success factors||Key performance indicators||Key actions|
| || || |
Other tools to use with the action design tool
The action design tool can be used in Step 4 of the CI&I - Continuous improvement and innovation process.
The SMARTT goal tool can be used to develop the goal for the action design.
More information on critical success factors (CSFs) and key performance indicators (KPIs) is availabe in the Business improvement toolbox.
Once you have your action design you can use tools like Gantt charts, PERT diagrams, timelines and budgeting tools to add more detail.
Support to use the tool
Please contact us if you would like help to develop an action design.
A worksheet to use when you are developing your action design is available in the 'Documents' section on the far right.