DPIRD co-leads the ongoing development and implementation of the Grains Industry National RD&E Strategy with the Grains Research and Development Corporation.
The Grains Industry National RD&E Strategy contributes to building a more coordinated and collaborative approach to Australia’s RD&E activities across public and private sector organisations focused on areas of industry priority.
Western Australia plays a major role in the strategy, providing national leadership and support across key research and development priorities, ensuring the state is well positioned to build on collaborative processes to deliver benefits to the grains industry.
Key DPIRD grains industry research and development activities are listed below.
Agronomy and farming systems:
- crop diagnostic modelling
- decision support tools
- varietal and paddock management packages and decision support
- water use efficiency
- tillage and sowing systems
- precision agriculture
- rotations, break crops, pastures and livestock integration.
- integrated disease management
- integrated weed management
- integrated pest management.
Soil science and crop nutrition:
- soil acidity
- sub-soil constraints
- crop nutrition and fertiliser management.
- prediction, forecasting
Farm business productivity:
- productivity drivers, technology adoption management skills and risk management.