Quarantine: frequently asked questions

Page last updated: Thursday, 23 September 2021 - 1:11pm

Please note: This content may be out of date and is currently under review.

The Department of Agriculture and Food, Western Australia's (DAFWA) Quarantine WA service is here to support individuals and businesses as they pursue their activities, while ensuring our borders are protected from incursions of unwelcome pests, weeds and diseases. Below are some answers to frequently asked questions, or if you would like more information please call Quarantine WA on +61 (0)8 9334 1800.

Frequently asked questions

1. Can I bring my cat and dog in?

Yes, there are no major entry restrictions for cats and dogs. Owners are required to brush the animal(s) to remove any seeds in their fur prior to arrival. No specific vaccinations, vet certificates or paperwork is required. However, there are restrictions for birds, reptiles, fish and frogs. Permits or licences may be required for some of these. For more information on restrictions please contact the Invasive Species team at DAFWA.

2. Can I bring my pet birds in?

Most birds are allowed entry into Western Australia (WA) however some will require a permit or licence and a few species are prohibited. Contact the WA Department of Parks and Wildlife (DPaW) to check the pest status of your bird. Seed and any fruit and vegetables in bird cages is prohibited and will be removed. Birds that require a permit are photographed and referred to DPaW.

Where inspections take place at the Eucla and Kununurra road checkpoints, where animals are inspected 24 hours a day. This inspection only involves a check for quarantine risk material in the animals cages and photographs taken for sending to DPaW for confirming identification of the animal. Further inspection at your destination may be required. If the correct permits have not been sought or the animal is of a prohibited species re-export out of WA may be required at the importers expense. In some case the animal may have to be euthanased.

At Perth Domestic Airport inspections are carried out in the quarantine area of air cargo buildings during business hours (see below). Most animals transferring to Regional airports will be inspected at Perth Domestic Airport prior to transhipping. The animal will be held in the quarantine area until cleared by an inspector. A delay may occur if an inspector is not immediately available.

You must arrange transport of your animals so they can be inspected during business hours, even if you are arriving at a different time.
You are responsible for your animals welfare while they await inspection. Animals arriving outside business hours will be held in appropriate facilities until inspected during business hours

Inspection hours/days

Business hours: 7:30 am to 4:30 pm

Business days: Monday to Friday excluding public holidays.

NO Inspections are available outside these times.

Contact Quarantine WA to arrange inspection on 08 9334 1802

3. Why am I not allowed to bring honey from the east coast and yet I can I buy it (honey) in the shops here?

Honey purchased in WA from the east coast has been treated and meets strict quarantine requirements. It’s certified as treated and is verified by our officers on arrival into WA. Most tourists and travellers are more likely to bring untreated honey and it’s difficult to verify if it has been treated to meet our quarantine requirements.

4. Can I bring fruit cake in?

Yes, this is allowed as it is cooked and processed fruit.

5. Can I bring cakes, biscuits, cheese and milk in?

Yes, these products are all allowed entry into WA.

6. Can I bring in fresh fruit and vegetables?

Generally no fresh fruit and vegetables are allowed, except for the following exceptions (providing they are free of soil, pests, disease and any sprouting or green growth):

  • beetroot, carrot, coconut, corn on the cob, ginger, mushrooms (commercially packaged), parsnip, pineapple, swede, galangal, sweet potato, taro, turnip, commercially packed leafy greens

7. Can I bring in fruit salad?

Uncertified fresh fruit salad is not allowed and is usually seized however cut pineapple and passionfruit is allowed entry. Cooked and tinned fruit and fruit salads are permitted.

8. Can I bring in fresh salads?

Commercially packaged leafy greens are subject to inspection for any pests and must be declared to a Quarantine Inspector.

Salad packs are also subject to inspection, and must have no fruit fly hosts (eg. no tomato, capsicum, cucumber). The produce must be cut, washed and packaged.

Home prepared salads should be well covered with a salad dressing, that pools in the corner when the container is tipped on its side.

9. Can I bring cooked food and/or tinned food in?

Yes, all cooked food and/or tinned food is allowed entry into WA.

10. Can I bring meat and fish in?

Yes, fresh or frozen meat and fish is allowed entry into WA.

11. Can I bring home dried fruit and vegetables into WA?

Only if commercially packaged, subject to inspection for insect infestation. Mango must have seed removed.

Home-dried fruit is usually not acceptable unless the inspector is satisfied that the product is dried to the same standards as commercially dried fruit.

12. Can I bring frozen fruit and vegetables into WA?

All fruit and vegetables are permitted if hard frozen on arrival except:

  • apples with skin
  • paw paw
  • loquats
  • muntries
  • riberries
  • grapes
  • guava
  • mango (with seed)
  • uncooked banana leaves
  • unpeeled onions
  • unpeeled potatoes

13. Can I bring my pantry herbs and spices?

Yes, the most commonly used herbs and spices are allowed, subject to inspection on arrival. They must be declared to ensure there are no prohibited seed types. The contents must be in a jar or commercially packaged.

14. Can I bring my pot plants or bulbs into WA?

Yes, but subject to prior approval from Quarantine WA. You must apply prior to importing the plants or bulbs using the Import Approval Request form. Contact Quarantine WA on +61 (0)8 9334 1800 to obtain a copy of the form.

You are allowed up to 20 bare-rooted plants under this approval and they must be of a permitted species as listed on the WA Organism List.

Plants imported from Victoria will also require a Plant Health Certificate for potato cyst nematode which is issued by Victorian quarantine authorities.

More than 20 permitted plants must be certified and treated in the exporting state as per the conditions of entry according to the Quarantine WA Import Requirements Search.

The plants or bulbs will be inspected at the port of entry into WA. Please be aware that some plants are prohibited entry due to disease restrictions or the potential of the plant to become a pest.

Fees and charges apply for approvals and inspections.

15. Can I bring in dried flowers including pot pourri?

Yes, however they are subject to inspection to verify there are no prohibited seeds or plant material and the dried matter is free from insects.

Inspection fees will apply.

16. Can I pack my household goods in fruit/vegetable boxes?

No, they will be seized at the point of entry into WA. Fruit and vegetables boxes may act as hosts for diseases, insects or eggs for insect pests such as fruit fly or codling moth.

Hessian potato sacks are prohibited and all other hessian sacks must be declared and are subject to inspection for seeds and other quarantine risks.

17. Can I bring my lawn mower, whipper snipper and other gardening tools?

Yes, these items are allowed but must be free of soil, seeds and other plant material. Empty plant pots must be cleaned of all soil and potting mix. All of these items must be declared to Quarantine WA and are subject to inspection on arrival.

18. I am moving interstate, what can I take?

Each state operates under their own biosecurity legislation and this means there are different requirements for each state. You can check this via each States website listed on our Exporting from WA or contact Quarantine WA on +61 (0)8 9334 1800 and ask to speak to our exports officer.

19. I am travelling interstate, what can I take with me?

Each state operates under their own biosecurity legislation and this means there are different requirements for each state. You can check this via each States website listed on our Exporting from WA page or contact Quarantine WA on +61 (0)8 9334 1800 and ask to speak to our exports officer.

20. Restrictions within WA

The movement of plant products into and/or out of the following zones below is controlled. These controls are designed to keep these areas free of certain pests and diseases.

Broome area

There are restrictions in place on the movement of palm plants and palm foliage from the Broome area.

Kununurra and Carnarvon areas

There are restrictions on the movement of banana plants (except fruit), and leaves, and soil from the Carnarvon and Kununurra areas.

There are restrictions on the entry of banana containers from areas infested with Panama disease (tropical race 4) into the Carnarvon and Kununurra areas.

Ord River Irrigation Area (ORIA – near Kununurra)

There are restrictions on the movement of cut flowers and foliage, fruit, plants and vegetables from the ORIA.

From 1 April to 30 November each year, there are restrictions on the movement of citrus and stone fruit into the Ord River Irrigation Area

Kimberley division

There are restrictions on the entry of nursery stock, cut flowers and foliage, and leafy vegetables into the Kimberley division.

Potato growing areas (Gingin and South West)

Potatoes imported into WA from another State/Territory are not allowed entry into WA potato growing areas.

Contact information

Quarantine WA Imports