2018-19 nest numbers and locations
See next page for detailed Local Government Area maps where European wasps and nests were detected.
- 166 EW nests found and destroyed.
- EW nests found in 12 LGAs, spanning 46 suburbs.
- 136 (82%) of all EW nests located and destroyed were in focus areas across the Darling Scarp - in the Mundaring, Kalamunda, Swan, Gosnells and Canning LGAs.
- 98% of EW nests found were underground.
- Close to 3800 EW traps installed, up from about 2200 used last year.
- Surveillance carried out across some 1,300km2.
- Almost 1000 enquiries and reports from the public received.
- 77 public reports led to the location of EW nests.
- Some 25% of reports that led to the location of EW nests were of wasps seen in backyards, with many seen drinking from sprinklers, bird baths, pools and dog bowls.
- Common to reports were wasps seen around human food and drinks.
- Eradication was confirmed in some of last year’s hot spots, including parts of the City of Swan and Bedfordale.
- Significant hot spots for 2018-19 were the suburbs of Martin in the City of Gosnells (27 EW nests), Welshpool (12 EW nests), Kalamunda (11 EW nests) and Mundaring (11 EW nests).
- EWs continued to be detected toward the end of the season in Banjup, Orange Grove, Lesmurdie, Walliston and Pickering Brook.