The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development has significant direct investment in grains research, development and extension capability and activities, research infrastructure and policy development.
The Western Australian grains industry is a major contributor to the agrifood sector and the Australian economy. WA produces on average 13 million tonnes of grains (cereals, oilseeds and pulses) each year. Grain exports generate more than $4 billion (five year average) for the WA economy each year – making it the largest agricultural sector in the state, and the fourth largest export industry overall after iron ore, oil and gas, and gold.
WA exports about 80% of its annual grain production to more than 50 countries worldwide. Indonesia is WA’s top wheat export market worth over $0.5 billion per year. WA is the world’s leading supplier of premium malting barley to China, the major supplier of wheat for the Japanese udon noodle market, and a major feed barley supplier to the Middle East.
In the 2014/15 season it is estimated the WA grains industry exported a total of $3.7 billion of cereals and $790 billion of pulse, pasture and oilseeds. The major contributors to these exports were wheat ($2.7 billion), barley ($905 million), canola ($710 million), oats ($83 million) and lupins ($77 million).
2023 Crop Sowing Guide for WA
The Crop Sowing Guide for Western Australia is a one stop shop for variety information on all the major crops grown in Western Australia, compiled by officers in the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development.
This edition includes the major crops grown in WA – wheat, barley, canola, oat, lupins and pulses. The publication aims to provide information to support growers with decisions on the best choice of variety for each of the major crops for the upcoming season. The lupin and pulse sections also includes an “agronomy guide” summary to support management decisions required for these high value industries.
Hardcopies of the 2023 Crop Sowing Guide for Western Australia are available from DPIRD offices and other agribusiness outlets. Learn more
Filter by search
Filter by topic
- (-) Remove Viruses & virus-like filter Viruses & virus-like
- Pests, weeds & diseases (16) Apply Pests, weeds & diseases filter
- Diseases (16) Apply Diseases filter
- Canola (6) Apply Canola filter
- Wheat (5) Apply Wheat filter
- Pulses (4) Apply Pulses filter
- Grains research & development (4) Apply Grains research & development filter
- Crop diseases (4) Apply Crop diseases filter
- Lupins (3) Apply Lupins filter
- Field peas (3) Apply Field peas filter
- Oats (2) Apply Oats filter
- Pests (2) Apply Pests filter
- Mechanical, physical and cultural (2) Apply Mechanical, physical and cultural filter
- Nematodes (2) Apply Nematodes filter
- Fungi (2) Apply Fungi filter
- Barley (2) Apply Barley filter
- Control methods (2) Apply Control methods filter
- Fungicides (1) Apply Fungicides filter
- Horticulture (1) Apply Horticulture filter
- Vegetables (1) Apply Vegetables filter
- Weeds (1) Apply Weeds filter
- Crop weeds (1) Apply Crop weeds filter
- Pest insects (1) Apply Pest insects filter
- Cauliflower (1) Apply Cauliflower filter
- Broccoli (1) Apply Broccoli filter
- Bacteria (1) Apply Bacteria filter
- Brussels sprouts (1) Apply Brussels sprouts filter
- Cabbage (1) Apply Cabbage filter
- Chemicals (1) Apply Chemicals filter
- Chinese cabbage (1) Apply Chinese cabbage filter