The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development has significant direct investment in grains research, development and extension capability and activities, research infrastructure and policy development.
The Western Australian grains industry is a major contributor to the agrifood sector and the Australian economy. WA produces on average 13 million tonnes of grains (cereals, oilseeds and pulses) each year. Grain exports generate more than $4 billion (five year average) for the WA economy each year – making it the largest agricultural sector in the state, and the fourth largest export industry overall after iron ore, oil and gas, and gold.
WA exports about 80% of its annual grain production to more than 50 countries worldwide. Indonesia is WA’s top wheat export market worth over $0.5 billion per year. WA is the world’s leading supplier of premium malting barley to China, the major supplier of wheat for the Japanese udon noodle market, and a major feed barley supplier to the Middle East.
In the 2014/15 season it is estimated the WA grains industry exported a total of $3.7 billion of cereals and $790 billion of pulse, pasture and oilseeds. The major contributors to these exports were wheat ($2.7 billion), barley ($905 million), canola ($710 million), oats ($83 million) and lupins ($77 million).
2023 Crop Sowing Guide for WA
The Crop Sowing Guide for Western Australia is a one stop shop for variety information on all the major crops grown in Western Australia, compiled by officers in the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development.
This edition includes the major crops grown in WA – wheat, barley, canola, oat, lupins and pulses. The publication aims to provide information to support growers with decisions on the best choice of variety for each of the major crops for the upcoming season. The lupin and pulse sections also includes an “agronomy guide” summary to support management decisions required for these high value industries.
Hardcopies of the 2023 Crop Sowing Guide for Western Australia are available from DPIRD offices and other agribusiness outlets. Learn more
Filter by search
Filter by topic
- Soils (11) Apply Soils filter
- Climate, land & water (11) Apply Climate, land & water filter
- (-) Remove Measuring and assessing soils filter Measuring and assessing soils
- Managing soils (7) Apply Managing soils filter
- Wheat (5) Apply Wheat filter
- Climate & weather (4) Apply Climate & weather filter
- Soil carbon (4) Apply Soil carbon filter
- Climate change (4) Apply Climate change filter
- Resource assessment (3) Apply Resource assessment filter
- Soil management (2) Apply Soil management filter
- Production & postharvest (2) Apply Production & postharvest filter
- Pastures (2) Apply Pastures filter
- Livestock research & development (1) Apply Livestock research & development filter
- Livestock management (1) Apply Livestock management filter
- Livestock & animals (1) Apply Livestock & animals filter
- Plant nutrition (1) Apply Plant nutrition filter
- Report card on conditions and trends (1) Apply Report card on conditions and trends filter
- Soil nutrients (1) Apply Soil nutrients filter
- Soil acidity (1) Apply Soil acidity filter
- Liming (1) Apply Liming filter
- Sowing (1) Apply Sowing filter
- Genetics & selection (1) Apply Genetics & selection filter
- Fertiliser (1) Apply Fertiliser filter
- Feeding & nutrition (1) Apply Feeding & nutrition filter
- Barley (1) Apply Barley filter
- Grains research & development (1) Apply Grains research & development filter
- High rainfall pastures (1) Apply High rainfall pastures filter
- Irrigated crops (1) Apply Irrigated crops filter
- Identifying WA soils (1) Apply Identifying WA soils filter
- Horticulture (1) Apply Horticulture filter
- Land use (1) Apply Land use filter