- Property: Craiglinne Estate, Pingrup - Paul Hicks.
- Agzone 5: Growing season rainfall (GSR) = 315 millimeters (mm).
- Soil type: Clay loam (1.98% organic carbon).
- Paddock rotation: 2012 - barley, 2011 - oats.
- Sowing date: 20 May 2013.
- Fertiliser - kilogram per hectare (kg/ha): 100 Agstar (14.3% N, 14.0% P, 9.6%, 0.6% Zn ) drilled below the seed at seeding, 120kg/ha of Muriate of Potash and 400kg/ha of gypsum (17% Ca, 14% S) topdressed over whole site four weeks after seeding.
- two herbicide tolerant systems: Triazine Tolerant (TT) and Roundup Ready (RR) canola.
- four cultivars.
- TT = Open pollinated - ATR Stingray; and Hybrid - Hyola 450TT.
- RR = Open pollinated - GT Viper; and Hybrid - Hyola 404RR.
- eight densities: 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 60, 80 plants/m2.
- Trial design: Split plot design, with herbicide tolerance (HT) as main plots and cultivars x eight plant density as sub plots.
Assumptions used in gross margins
- Oil bonus: +/- 1.5% per unit of oil (%) either side of 42%, with no oil ceiling.
- Additional costs: Seeding, harvest, insecticides assumed to be $100/ha.
- Nitrogen costs: $1/kg, application costs $8/ha per application.
- RR costs: Seed $31/kg, herbicides $28/ha.
- RR price: Grain worth $479/t (CBH Pool Albany 5 November 2013).
- TT costs: Seed $2/kg, herbicides $47/ha.
- TT price: Grain worth $502/t (CBH Pool Albany 5 November 2013).