Careers in food and fibre

Page last updated: Tuesday, 12 September 2017 - 2:14pm

Please note: This content may be out of date and is currently under review.

Change it

Careers in the food and fibre industry - Rural and Resources Reporter
Rural and resources journalist

Decisions we make in agriculture can have a huge impact on the lives of people all around the world - it could be just one change that creates the solution to world hunger.

A career to bring about change in agriculture is an important role that could see you making a difference to the future of many.

What sort of things will I do in a ‘Change It’ career?

Helping people, protecting the environment or animal welfare; there are many careers in agriculture where you can make a difference.

Let’s take a closer look at some ‘Change it’ careers.

Rural sociologist

A rural sociologist studies and provides information about development, social patterns and interactions of people in rural areas.

Some of the day to day tasks of a rural sociologist include:

• observing and investigating  social groups and subjects such as family, community, education, industrial relations, crime, politics, minority and ethnic relations, poverty and mass communications
• researching, collecting and analysing data, usually using computers
• writing reports and journal articles
• interviewing people
• living in the community being studied to assist with understanding.

To become a rural sociologist you need to start with a Bachelor degree in Social Science or Sociology followed by post graduate studies.

For these university courses you’ll need to complete year 12 ATAR pathway. For more information see Career Harvest - rural sociologist

Environmental policy advisor

An environmental policy advisor guides the development and management of government environmental policies.

Some of the day-to-day tasks of an environmental policy officer include:

• updating existing environmental policies to ensure they are relevant and effective
• researching, assessing and compiling information regarding policy issues
• preparing briefs, maps, charts and report to presenting policy information to  governments and policy makers
• advising governments and related organisations on particular social, cultural or political trends that may affect policy development
• come up with options to improve and update environmental policy.

To become an environmental policy adviser you can study a range of Bachelor degrees including Political Science, Environmental Science, Arts, Communications, Commerce and Law.

For more information see Career Harvest - policy advisor

Landcare officer

Landcare officers perform a range of tasks to maintain and restore native bushland, protect soils and rivers, and preserve biodiversity.

Some of the day to day tasks of a Landcare officer include:

• conducting research into environmental issues in the local community
• monitoring the condition of the local environment by observing water tables, rivers and soils
• devising and implementing strategies to overcome the issues or lessen their impact
• promoting community awareness environmental issues
• working with people from local government, land conservation organisations and the general community
• replanting native trees, shrubs, grasses and wildflowers.

To become a Landcare Officer, you need to complete a traineeship or Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualification in Conservation and Land Management.

You will need to complete year 10 to apply for these courses. Ask your school’s career adviser about the possibility of starting some of this training in school.

For more information see Career Harvest - conservation officer

Where can I get more information?
If you want more information about careers that make a difference in agriculture, you can find out more at the websites listed under 'External Links' on this page.