MyPestGuide reporter app user guide
- Open Google Play or Apple store on your device.
- Type ‘mypestguide’ (one word) into the search box.
- Select MyPestGuide ‘Reporter’ and download.
- Accept Location services when installing.
- Open app to start by tapping on green icon.
- Ensure the device’s GPS location is turned on to enable automatic location.
Making a report
- Select '+' icon to make a report.
- Take (or attach) up to 4 photos by tapping the ‘camera’ icons. At least one photo MUST be taken. Consider taking photos of:
- Close-up of aphids
- Close-up of damage symptoms
- Photo of the host plant
- Photo of surrounding habitat
- Take photos of healthy plants if no aphids or damage symptoms are present.
- In ‘Send report to…’ select ‘Russian wheat aphid survey'.
- In ‘Where’ type in:
- Host plant. street # and name. paddock info
- Separate information with a period (.)
- Use lower case text, avoid capitals
- Abbreviate street types to first 2 letters
- Separate units from street numbers using a forward slash (/)
wheat. 2b squall wa. se paddock
unknown. 53/1 doney rd. block 2 ne corner
barley. 9a stirk av. se corner of garden
- In ‘I found’ type in:
- 0 aphid. 0 damage (no aphid no damage)
- 1 aphid. 1 damage (aphid and damage)
- 1 aphid. 0 damage (aphid no damage)
- 0 aphid. 1 damage (no aphid but damage)
- Check the location button is on (‘green‘). Check GPS accuracy improves before selecting the Send report button.
In ‘Login’ select:
- The State where data resides i.e. Western Australia
- Enter your email address (check spelling)
- Enter your mobile number i.e. 0449979078
- then press OK
- Remember to refresh your reports when back in WIFI or mobile range. Refer to the ‘About’ section for more detail on how to use the app.
- Treat each observation as a unique report. If there are multiple host plants, do separate reports for each host plant.
Taking good photos
- Clean your lens
- Focus by tapping your phone’s screen on the part of the image to focus on
- Avoid zooming in. Instead get closer.
- Don't use the flash.
- Avoid light pointing straight into lens.
- Set the resolution to as high as possible.
- For very small objects use a macro lens 2-3cm away from the subject.
Making an online report
If you don’t have a mobile device you can still report RWA using the online tool.
- Click on ‘Create a report’ button.
- Add your email address and mobile number.
- Send report to…‘Russian wheat aphid survey’.
- Check computer location is turned on.
- Drag and drop green dot on map.
- Drag and drop photos from camera or file.
- Click ‘I am not a machine’ then save.
See reports from others
To view community reports filter by project ‘all’ and type ‘aphid’ into the search text box. If you have administrative rights data can be downloaded to CSV files. To request admin rights email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registering on the DAFWA website
Please register online to view maps of your personal reports.
- Go to the MyPestGuide website.
- Select ‘Register here now!’.
- Create a new account by filling in the requested boxes and select 'Create new account’.
- Go to your email and look in the Inbox.
- Open the email sent from the DAFWA and click on the link provided in the email.
- Click on the Log in button and set your password.
- Create a password and fill in your details.
- Click save and return to the MyPestGuide website.
The MyPestGuide team is available to assist you. Phone 1800 084 881, email email@example.com or send us a report.
Reporting outside mobile areas
When MyPestGuide is outside of WIFI or mobile range the reports are saved to the device, and will remin in the queue, waiting for synchronisation with the DAFWA server.
To finish synchronising reports, and to communicate with DAFWA experts, users must go into the Main menu and Refresh reports when in communication range.