Animal welfare complaints

Page last updated: Thursday, 4 May 2023 - 1:09pm

Please note: This content may be out of date and is currently under review.

The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) and the RSPCA aim to ensure that cruelty to animals is prevented and the welfare of animals is promoted and protected. To achieve this aim, the Animal Welfare Act 2002 (the Act) provides a broad range of enforcement powers to inspectors to investigate potential breaches and ensure compliance with the Act.

Complaints about an inspector

The Act also has strict accountability mechanisms to safeguard the rights of individuals who may be the subject of enforcement action and to ensure the inspectors exercise their powers fairly and objectively and in a professional manner. In most cases, complaints can be resolved by raising them directly with the inspector involved. By clearly and concisely explaining your concerns and giving the inspector an opportunity to explain, many issues can be resolved.

An inspector, when requested, must produce their identification card when he or she is about to exercise, is exercising, or has exercised, any of the inspector’s powers. Furthermore an inspector exercising, or proposing to exercise, a power under section 47 of the Act must, if asked by a person who is or will be affected by the exercise of the power, explain why the inspector is exercising the power.

What should you include in your complaint?

In all complaints, you should include the following information (listed below):

  • your name, address and contact details
  • a simple and clear description of your problem with the inspector
  • the name of the inspector (if known)
  • a realistic explanation of what you would like to happen as a result of your complaint
  • any other relevant information.

List of employing agencies


If your complaint relates to the behaviour, actions or decision (other than a reviewable decision) of a general inspector or scientific inspector employed by DPIRD, please complete the Customer Complaints and Feedback form.


Complaints about the behaviour, actions or decision (other than a reviewable decision) of a general inspector employed by the RSPCA should be directed in writing to the Complaints Officer by email ( or mailed to PO Box 3147 MALAGA WA 6945. Additional information regarding the RSPCA’s Public Complaints Management Procedure is available from the RSPCA website.

WA Police officers

Complaints about the behaviour, actions or decision (other than a reviewable decision) of a WA Police Officer should be directed to the Police Complaints line (+61 (0)8 9223 1000), made in person at your local police station, online or lodged in writing to Police Complaints, 10th Floor, Septimus Roe Square, 256 Adelaide Terrace PERTH WA 6000.

Additional information regarding the WA Police complaints process is available from the WA Police website.

Local Government inspectors

Complaints about the behaviour, actions or decision (other than a reviewable decision) of a local government general inspector should be directed to the relevant local council offices. Further information on local council localities and contacts can be found on the WA Local Government Association Website.

Contact information

Animal Welfare General Enquiries