Farm recovery after fire

Please note: This content may be out of date and is currently under review.

The Department of Agriculture and Food, Western Australia (DAFWA) has resources available to support you in managing affected livestock and stock feed, as well as pasture and land recovery, in the event of a fire.

Latest fire information

For the latest information, please visit the Department of Fire and Emergency Services website.

Support services

The WA rural health, financial and information services support directory provides useful information on the support services available and how to access them. The directory can be downloaded from this page.

Particularly useful services for recovery after fire include:

Western Australia Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements

For Primary Producers – assistance may be available toward freight costs, materials for boundary fences (only where it is demonstrated that public safety is at risk), professional advice grants and interest rate subsidies on 'new' loans approved by Authorised Deposit-taking Institutions.

These measures for primary producers are administered by DAFWA.

For more information, contact DAFWA’s Rural Business Development Unit on 1800 198 231 or visit our WANDRRA page.

Assistance measures are also available for individuals and families, small businesses and local governments. More information on these can be found on the Western Australian Department of Premier and Cabinet website and on the Australian Government’s Disaster Assist website.

Recovery information

Accessing your property safely after a bushfire

A restricted access area is a designated area within an incident area which authorised person can enter for a period of time and for a specific purpose.

A restricted access permit may be issued to residents, business owners or utility companies or other approved persons to:

  • enable them to activate their emergency plan;
  • collect valuables and / or pets;
  • transport various commodities such as milk, water, stock feed and store supplies;
  • tend to livestock; or
  • undertake other approved activities

For more information about restricted access permits visit the Department of Fire and Emergency Services website.

Hazards on your property after a bushfire

Houses, sheds and other buildings or structures that are burnt in a bushfire can leave potential health hazards, including asbestos, in the remaining rubble and ash.

Before visiting your property, please refer to the documents on the right hand side of this page, supplied by the Department of Health:

  • Hazards on your property after a bush fire
  • Guidance note on the management of fire damaged asbestos
  • Asbestos fire contamination

Managing animals


For movement of sheep, cattle and goats out of the fire zone, owners should contact the National Livestock Identification System (NLIS) help desks where staff will maintain the NLIS database to avoid a biosecurity emergency down the track. The helpdesks are there to assist you free of charge. Please contact them at your earliest convenience to at least provide the property addresses and stock numbers.

NLIS cattle helpdesk: +61 (0)427 089 860

NLIS sheep helpdesk: +61 (0)8 9363 4150

NLIS goat helpdesk: +61 (0)8 9363 4150

Livestock and feed

The following information sheets are available under Documents on the right-hand side of this page:

  • Agisting livestock after a bushfire
  • Assessing cattle after a bushfire
  • Assessing sheep after a bushfire
  • Burying carcases in trench pits

The additional following information is available on our website:

Disposal of Milk

Farm biosecurity

Fires create a feed shortage for affected livestock. To resolve this, you may buy in or accept donated feed, or you may agist your animals on another property. Both of these actions pose a biosecurity risk of introducing pests, diseases and weeds to your animals and your property.

An information sheet on managing farm biosecurity after a bushfire is available under Documents on the right-hand side of this page.

Management of grapes and wine

Water supply and quality


Soils and pastures management

  • Pasture recovery after fire (see documents on right hand side of this page)

For further information and advice on pasture recovery, contact Senior Research Officer Phil Nichols.

Page last updated: Thursday, 22 February 2018 - 8:40am