My role in the department
My role is to lead research and extension on weed management in grain crops in WA, with emphasis on integrated weed management - including herbicide resistance, herbicide efficacy, emerging weeds, weed biology and ecology and non-chemical weed control options. Our research is aimed at improving grain productivity by minimising the impact of weed competition in grain crops to boost farm profit. My research involves collaboration with UWA, University of Adelaide, Murdoch University, NSW DPI and QDAF. I recently completed a GRDC project on the management of herbicide resistance in collaboration with UWA and another on cultural weed management with QDAF, Agronomo and NSW DPI. I now have two GRDC projects on management of emerging weeds, with UA and NSW DPI and one international ACIAR project with MU and an ARC-linkage project with UWA. I am on the national Glyphosate Sustainability Working Group representing DPIRD as an expert in herbicide resistance.
I have a PhD in weed ecology from USA and have over 30 years of experience in agronomy and weed research including herbicide resistance, weed ecology and biology, herbicide efficacy, and cultural weed management in USA, Asia and Australia. I am now the project leader of four projects. I have published 44 refereed scientific articles in journals, 166 conference proceedings and abstracts and over 100 extension articles. I am also a regular reviewer of several international journals and an external examiner of PhD thesis from various national and international universities around the world. I served as the people leader of 10 senior research officers of DPIRD for eight years and am skilled in mentoring and coaching.
- Improving IWM practice of emerging weed in southern and western regions (2014-2017) - UA00149
- Emerging weeds (seed bank biology of emerging weeds) (2015-2020) - UA 00156
- Overcoming agronomic and mechanisation constraints to development and adoption of conservation agriculture in diversified rice-based cropping in Bangladesh (2012-2017) - LWR/2010/080
- PhD in Weed Science, Oregon State University (OSU), USA
- MSc Ag (Agronomy) Bangladesh Agricultural University
- BSc Ag (Hons) Bangladesh Agricultural University