The role of the AWAC is to advise the Minister in relation to:
- animal welfare policy, legislation or legislative proposals that affect animal welfare
- animal welfare codes of practice, standards and guidelines, including arrangements for implementation
- community education and other programs to improve public awareness about animal welfare
- the development and implementation of standards relevant to training and competency assessment of appointment of inspectors under the Animal Welfare Act 2002
- animal welfare research
- any animal welfare-related matter in relation to which the Minister seeks advice.
Current members of the AWAC are:
- Professor Clive Phillips (Chair)
- Dr Susan O’Keeffe
- Mrs Dawn Lowe
- Mr Michael Sheehy
- Mr Dean Huxley
- Ms Joanna Williams
AWAC’s Terms of Reference has more information about the operation of the committee.